Okay, so the irony of me writing a blog on the importance of blogging is not lost on me. But that aside, writing a regular blog is an important marketing tool for your business. I know you’re probably strapped for time and not sure what to even blog about, but hopefully the following words will help get you started.
So, firstly let’s begin by answering the question in the title: Why blog? There are lots of reasons why, here are a few of them:
- It builds trust in your brand, in your business and in you. Blogs enable you to pitch yourself as an expert and to show off your knowledge. When someone is considering buying your product or service that’s important.
- A blog helps people to find you. By using phrases and keywords that your target audience are likely to be searching for you’ll be practicing good SEO that will attract them and can then reel those people in with your great content.
- Blogging regularly brings fresh content to your website, which in turn should result in fresh eyes and ensures that you remain relevant.
- It can help you grow an email list, by encouraging readers to subscribe so that your future ramblings hit their inboxes. If they like your content already they will be much easier to sell to than with a cold audience.
So, we’ve covered the whys (or at least some of them), but what about how? What’s the best way to get started with blogging? Here’s my own started for five:
- Brainstorm ideas for it – what topics would your ideal audience like to know more about? Make sure they’re relevant to your business and that you can cover them in a knowledgeable way. Top tip: I love https://answerthepublic.com/ for content ideas as it let’s me know the kind of questions related to the services I provide are being typed into a Google search (the results are often entertaining too!)
- Research it – once you’ve decided on your topic, gather all the information you’ll need to write about it. If it’s a subject you already know really well (which really it should be) then this bit will be a breeze.
- Write it – sounds simple huh? Remember, it’s a blog so it should be informative but it doesn’t need to be a masterpiece. Make sure it conveys your message, pitches you or your business as an expert and, perhaps most importantly, reflects your personality. Yes, it should have a beginning, middle and an end, but whereabouts you start while you are writing is completely up to you – just begin and the words will flow.
- Edit it – once all your words are on the screen take a step back and have a read. Do this out loud for maximum effect and get someone else to cast their eyes over it to before you hit publish. Top tip: I always take a break from what I’ve written before final edit and publishing, even if it’s just 10 minutes. It helps refocus my brain, but remember not to be overly critical, done is better than nothing at all.
- Promote it – don’t be shy and hide your blog away. Even with the best SEO content in the world you’ll want to shout about it on your social media pages etc. After all, you’ve taken the time to write it, right?
So, what are you waiting for? Go forth and blog!
- Extra, last minute top tip: I often find hot drinks and biscuits help the writing flow. This blog was brought to you with the help of coffee and Biscoffs.